Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Local – Not Local

The Petén is the type of tourist location where many people want to experience a controlled jungle adventure.  I find that, in general, a majority of persons living in developed countries have an internalized vision of what a developing country looks like and what services are available. 


Doña Bety is the owner of Doña Bety’s Tienda.  Her tienda is three blocks from our rental house and one block from where we will be building our house.  We have known Doña Bety for many years.  In her little tienda I can purchase almost everything that I need to eat, clean, or even a treat.  If she does not have an item in stock, she will get it for you and have it ready the next time you stop by her store.  Shopping local and providing economic opportunity.





Living in the jungle is beautiful.  It does, however, require that you keep everything clean if you don’t want to attract a lot of insects such as ants, scorpions, and mosquitoes.  I have found that having someone come in and clean our little rental house a minimum of twice a week keeps the house clean, and provides an economic opportunity for someone in the village to earn some hard currency.  Cleaning in the tropics is much more time consuming than cleaning my Pacific Northwest home.  I appreciate the gift of a clean home that Saira provides.
.


I have watch the main street through the village over the years increase the number of businesses and I have watched the local children grow up to young adults.




I have watched tourist arrive.


1 comment:

  1. Yes.. You are talking about the effects of slow going processes that , during time, are prone to an exponential acceleration, here with positive effects in the US with negative. I recognize the lady in the tienda and - of course - we have to redifine the meaning of "happiness", "Sufficient" etc..

    ReplyDelete